Chef Dennis's Szechuan Glazed Copper River Salmon
Szechuan Glazed Copper River Salmon
Recipe by Dennis Deaver, Orca Adventure Lodge
Chef Dennis Deaver of Orca Adventure Lodge in Cordova presents his exquisite recipe for Szechuan Glazed Salmon. This dish showcases the finest qualities of Copper River Sockeye salmon, bringing culinary magic to your kitchen.
Experience a tantalizing journey as delicate flavors of salmon blend with an irresistible glaze. Each succulent portion is seared and baked to perfection, resulting in a moist and tender centerpiece for your meal.
Start by cutting the salmon fillet into eight equal portions, patting them dry and seasoning with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Prepare the glaze by combining soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, peppercorn, cane sugar, and minced garlic. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan, gently heating it for five minutes. Create a thickening agent with cornstarch and water, incorporating it into the glaze until velvety. Remove from heat and let it cool to develop flavors.
Sear the top side of the fillets in a hot pan with olive oil for 1-2 minutes, adding caramelized crust and elevating the dish's texture. Place the seared fillets skin-side down on a foil-lined sheet pan, generously brushing the tops with the cooled glaze.
Cook the salmon in the preheated oven for 4-5 minutes until fully cooked. Add optional garnishes like green onion slices, preserved lemons, and toasted sesame seeds to enhance the dish's visual appeal and flavor.
Serve the Szechuan Glazed Salmon with your preferred side dish pairing, like roasted vegetables, steamed rice, or a refreshing salad. Let yourself be transported to Cordova, savoring the fusion of Asian-inspired flavors and the wonders of the Copper River.
- 1 Copper River Sockeye salmon fillet cut into 8 equal portions
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup pure sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp crushed peppercorn (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
For The Glaze
Instructions (read directions thoroughly before cooking)
- Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides, preheat oven to 400° F
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, peppercorn, sugar, and garlic in bowl until thoroughly mixed
- Heat mixture in saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Mix cornstarch and water in separate bowl, then mix into glaze to thicken
- Once thickened, pull off heat and let cool
- After sauce is cooled, sear top side of salmon 1-2 minutes in hot pan with oil
- Transfer to foil-lined sheet pan, skin-side down, glaze top of salmon
- Cook in oven for 4-5 minutes, or until fully cooked
- Optionally garnish with twirly green onion, julienned preserved lemons, and toasted sesame seeds
- Serve with your preferred salmon side-pairing!
Click the button below to download the recipe card.